Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Coda clip  (Read 477 times)

FoolishFrost

Coda clip
« on: December 21, 2018, 03:24:33 pm »
First, I want to make it clear this is assuredly my own fault, and not placing blame.

I think the coda clip needs a locking system to keep it on the belt. 

Due to me loosing mine within the first week of getting it.

I keep a pretty good eye on my items:  keys, wallets, etc.  In this case the nature of the item has lead to a situation that I don't know where I might have even lost it.  Sadly, I can only assume since I never heard a clatter of it falling off my belt, that it was bushed off when sitting in a restaurant or other place I might have sat down, leading to it not being making noise when it was dropped.

The point in this case being, it may need a clip that has an angled end to keep it from sliding easily off the belt. 

Again, not a complaint.  I actually had the thought before I lost it.  It obviously was not a strong enough thought to keep it from happening.

John Bowden
FoolishDesigns.com

Karl Ahrens

Re: Coda clip
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 04:04:35 pm »
John, so sorry to hear this!  Right now I'm racing to make the Carols available to people, but we'll find a way to get you back playing Coda. I'll be in touch soon!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 04:09:14 pm by Karl Ahrens »

FoolishFrost

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 05:37:34 pm »
For the record:  Carl contacted me within minute of me finding my coda, so, no harm no foul. 

Nice fellow. 

Still going to look at a safer way to transport it, since I still dropped it in the car.  That said, he mentioned he was looking at other clip designs that work with the coda. 

I'll be looking at a more in depth review of it as I get a touch more experience with it, but I can already say I can hammer out a little tune with it across both octaves.

Sorry for the false alarm!

John Bowden
FoolishDesigns.com

bnolsen

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 10:05:43 pm »
Something like a quick clip you find on kydex holsters would deal with rentension...that they depend on belt width rules those out.  There's also 'fabriclip' which might be a solution, especially if it's somehow compatible (https://warfytr.com/products/fabriclip).

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 02:16:37 pm »
This is a really long post, but if you're interested in Coda clips (or cases, which I mention at the very end) you should probably force yourself to read it. If not, skip it! :)

For me, the clip is a phenomenal solution right now. It is a real game changer that keeps Coda with me and makes it my dream instrument. However, I know that some of you will simply want to remove the clip because it's not useful to you. Others will long for an adapted clip to better suit their needs.  I am with you on that! You'll notice that we have a survey on the clip.  I am paying close attention to your suggestions.

For those of you interested in the clip, I wanted to mention several things relevant to the present clip design.

First, I should mention that I've been using the Coda Clip for a long time now and haven't lost my Coda yet. With that said, my Coda has slipped off in the car a couple of times, I guess when I put on or take off my seatbelt, so I've grown more aware and careful getting in and out of the car. 

As I've written elsewhere, I keep my Coda clipped to the left front pocket of my jeans most of the time (with Coda outside instead of inside the pocket). When I trail run, I slip it onto the waistband of my sweatpants or shorts. At those times, I have my thin wallet (with vital ID) and my keys in a Spibelt https://spibelt.com/shop/spibelt/the-original-spibelt/ , so the spibelt's elastic strap provides some additional retention on the Coda clip. Anyway, Coda is so light and the clip holds it so snug on my waistband that Coda doesn't bounce at all when I run. In fact, it's as if I'm not even carrying Coda... until after the run, when I often play for a while. 

When I hike, work outside, etc., I tend to clip Coda onto my belt. For me, it stays attached very well, but everybody's situation is different: belts, body shapes, activities... 

By the way, to make Coda slide onto a belt or waistband easily, just open the clip a little with your thumb and forefinger as you slide it on. Like so many things, this takes bit of practice before you do it automatically.

Before I talk more about adapting the present clip, here are some issues that complicate which kind of clip you can use. Even though we'll no doubt improve the clip at some point, realize that I have tested a LOT of designs, some involving carabiners, magnets, and cool detachable mechanisms, and I wasn't able to find a single clip that would work without significant adaptation. I liked the present clip design best by far because of its simplicity and functionality.

But if we want to change or adapt the clip, here are a few design challenges you should be aware of.

One design challenge is that the clip must not get in the way of your thumbs.  Virtually all standard clips you will find are too long, wide, etc., so they get in the way of playing Coda. The second design challenge is that the clip must not cover or occlude the conical tuning hole on the bottom of Coda. Many of you aren't even aware of that hole because it is probably covered by the clip. The present Coda Clip, in contrast, is accurately positioned and has the correct size hole so Coda's tuning is unaffected. Again, most clips you'd find either block that tuning hole or interfere with your thumbs, or both. Bnolsen made some excellent suggestions that I enjoyed looking up, but unfortunately they'd both violate the two limitations mentioned.  A third design challenge is how to attach a clip to Coda, but that's too complex to bore everyone with here.

Another design issue that you might want to consider is the following. Personally, I wanted a quick draw clip, a clip that I could quickly remove from my clothing without tearing up my pockets or waistband. The present clip holds Coda tight but is still quick draw.

Why quick draw? If it is a hassle to remove something, you tend not to do it.

Here is a terribly oversimplified summary of some habit research. To help form a good habit, make (write) clear decisions about what you want to do (if/then thinking), provide cues that trigger the desired activity, and make it as quick and easy as possible to "do the right thing." For example, keep whatever you need to perform the desired activity super accessible.  To eliminate an undesired habit, make it more difficult to do. Remove the triggers (for example, don't leave M&Ms sitting out on your kitchen counter ;)), and make it a pain to do whatever you don't want to do. Even just having to run upstairs to grab something is often enough to stop you from doing something consistently. To me, keeping Coda instantly accessible aids me in playing, especially in short, more frequent sessions. More frequent behaviors are more habit forming. Besides, playing is often more fun in relaxed settings.

Of course, everybody's life is different. A few of you will keep Coda on you most of the time, many will only carry during certain times or activities (camping, hiking...), and others will simply leave Coda in a certain practice room as they might a larger instrument. The important thing to me was to make it easy to carry and access Coda so you can play when you want to.

An example of an adaptation that we could look into together ("we" being anyone who might be interested) might be something like an additional short cord with a retention clip on it. One end of this short cord would attach to the tear-shaped lanyard hole on the top, tail-end of coda. The other end of the cord would attach to a small retention clip. You would use the Coda clip as usual but you'd also clip that small retention clip onto your waistband, pocket, etc. to provide an extra layer of protection against loss. When you play Coda, you could just clip the small retention clip onto the Coda Clip to keep it out of the way.

Anyway, feel free to keep discussing clip ideas here, or email me directly at [email protected] Just keep in mind the design challenges.  And, if you get a chance, please fill out the clip survey to us know what you like or don't like about the clip.

ABOUT CASES     I also did a lot of looking into an ideal belt/waistband case for Coda. In fact, I have a whole box of cases that I tested, and there are a couple of cases that are excellent. Ultimately, I chose the Coda Clip because it was so low profile for EveryDay Carry. A case, even a close fitting one, has to be bulkier than Coda alone. Also, I greatly preferred an attached clip because my Coda never became separated from its case.  However, I'm getting the feeling some of you might prefer a case, one that could never slip off your belt.  And you might choose to use the case just in high risk situations. If you are interested in finding out about a great case or two for Coda, let me know. I'll either start offering them for sale (as I once thought I would), or I'll tell you where to buy one directly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:34:26 pm by Karl Ahrens »