Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Possibility of a CODA app?  (Read 521 times)

Jpchopper

Possibility of a CODA app?
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:45:52 am »
Is there a possibility of a companion app (android/iphone) for the CODA?  I know there are similar apps around, but while I learn, just getting used to the fingerings and sound, a way to at least *sort* of practice with headphones would be nice, for those occasions actually playing is a bad idea...
It would also possibly help as a way to write down songs we like and try on our CODAs....
A thought anyway! loving the CODA so far
Always read between the lines. That is where the truth can often be found.

Karl Ahrens

Re: Possibility of a CODA app?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 03:45:36 pm »
We've talked about the idea of an app in the past, and I'm open to that.  Ideas?

One thing I do believe in a lot, especially in the early stages, is silent fingering exercises. You practice scales, etc., without blowing into the instrument, perhaps while watching tv or sitting around. It really gets you used to covering the holes properly, it's a great way to learn the sharps and flats, etc. 

Similarly, silent reading of music can be very helpful when you can't play out loud.  You put the instrument up to your mouth and finger the notes without blowing. If you know the melody, you can hum along as you finger the notes. It can actually be fun. I've done this in lonely hotel rooms to learn new material, and I even remember doing it on a long flight several years ago.

Neither of the two techniques mentioned above can replace actual playing, but they are a nice supplement, isolating and focusing on certain skills and providing significant learning gains.

Just remember to be patient with yourself. With regular playing, you'll make good progress.

In the long run, I plan to bring a device to the market that lets you play Coda without people in the next room hearing (I have a name for it and everything :) ), but let's get Coda firmly established first.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:47:12 pm by Karl Ahrens »

Jpchopper

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 04:13:12 pm »
I'm definitely intrigued by the new instrument you mentioned! I'm familiar with fingering exercises (played trumpet for years in another life) but find myself in situations where there are always people around who are either trying to sleep, or who are music haters (except for their own). A way to run through the fingerings or enter the music and hear a semblance of the sound in headphones would be awesome, for such times practice is restricted
Always read between the lines. That is where the truth can often be found.

JoelTucker

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:35:26 pm »
Smule has an ocarina app that even let you listen to others playing on the same app around the world. Theoretically, they could make one that matches Coda fingering.

Frank Dudgeon

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 11:50:07 pm »
Count me in as very interested in the device to play so that folks in the next room can't hear.  I'm an apartment dweller and such a device would be great to facilitate learning.  As it is I can't practice while at home, which is where I'd like to learn the Coda.  I have bought one and it's a wonderful invention and the accompanying book is way better than I expected.  A "mute' of some kind would be wonderful. Thanks Karl for the Coda!

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 12:50:20 am »
They have a device called Mr. mute.  I read about it on TON  I don't know if any of the  adapters for it would fit the CODA, and I haven't seen anything mentioned about it in a while.

Here is a link to the thread:

https://theocarinanetwork.com/milt-invented-a-mute-equipment-exclusively-for-oca-t22864.html