Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Business Card Fingering Charts  (Read 1976 times)

willfcc

Business Card Fingering Charts
« on: December 17, 2018, 11:39:56 pm »
First of all, congratulations, Karl!  I’m sure nobody is more pleased than you, except maybe Susan, to have launched this amazing instrument.

As the title suggests, I’d like to see a business card-sized fingering chart for, you know, EDC.  Just like you sent with the original MO’s. Perhaps upper chamber on one side, lower chamber on the other?

Thanks for the coming hours/days/years of musical enjoyment in my future.

Will

Jpchopper

Re: Business Card Fingering Charts
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:16:05 am »
Second this idea! I tend to play by ear but a card would help immensely with learning to play the CODA with sheet music.
Always read between the lines. That is where the truth can often be found.

ubizmo

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:28:41 pm »
I like the cards to hand out when people are curious. I handed out many Mountain Ocarina cards over the years and hope to do the same for Coda.

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 03:21:58 pm »
I loved the old business cards with fingering charts. They were functional, and you guys were kind enough to hand them out to friends who asked about that tiny flute you were playing. 

When we considered making similar cards for Coda, it dawned on us that Coda has a much wider range of notes than our old Mountain Ocarinas. For that reason, you can't really fit the whole Coda fingering chart onto a card, even using both sides, unless we're ready to hand out pocket microscopes along with the card. People of a certain age (ejem, like me, for instance ;D) struggle with minuscule print without a pair of cheaters.

But, hmm, maybe we could design a 3x5" laminated card to send along with Coda. It would be EDC.  It wouldn't be for handing out but could accelerate the learning process. Honk if you think this would be helpful. We need your feedback on things like this.

Back to business cards. We did design a new card, but we haven't had a chance to print them up yet.  What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:25:17 pm by Karl Ahrens »

Crowkopelli

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 06:11:23 pm »
I just going through all the many post on this new forum and saw this one about the cards.....I want it as a magnet that I can put in my car....or a t-shirt with that logo...love love love the "free to roam free to play" compass looking graphic....magnets and t-shirts....and the best looking business cards I have ever seen!!! Good job guys!

greenman

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 02:01:10 pm »
I like the compass rose transposed over the planet.

My 3 cents:
It seems to be missing something musical, but I'm not exactly sure what.

I  envision a road like the musical staff, a path leading off to the forest or horizon as a Yellow brick road:
a path to a musical journey with your Coda EDC.

Or the points of the compass pointing to notes around the edges.

Larry

willfcc

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 02:37:16 pm »
since you can't fit the entire range on a business card, then a 3x5 would be totally acceptable for EDC.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 08:42:06 pm »
Honking out for a note card.
Truthfully I came to this thread to ask for a .pdf file of the Fingering Chart found on the back of our instruction booklet.

I don't think (even with reading glasses I'd be able to read the business card sized fingering chart), but a .pdf I can enlarge on my
computer screen. I sit by the computer often practicing.

Roderick

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 09:21:27 pm »
Truthfully I came to this thread to ask for a .pdf file of the Fingering Chart found on the back of our instruction booklet.

I don't think (even with reading glasses I'd be able to read the business card sized fingering chart), but a .pdf I can enlarge on my
computer screen. I sit by the computer often practicing.

Hi. I made a short page showing the fingering chart, there are also links to download these images. Karl asked me a while ago to post this on the forum so you guys could have it. 

This is a work in progress, so I'll probably be improving it in the future.

I hope this is helpful to you. :)

https://codaedc.com/fingering-chart/
English is not my native tongue, pardon any mistake. ;)

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 01:04:37 am »
Roderick awesome!!
I have a 50 inch 4K monitor.
Now I can SEE the fingering chart (big time), i.e. no reading glasses required!!!

greenman

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 08:27:25 am »
These are Great,

Thank you Roderick - this save me the trouble of scanning it and transferring it to pdf for a very poor version of this.

Cheers!!

Larry

hoodsmom

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 10:39:31 am »
Here's my solution - which allows for aging eyes  :o

The diatonic fingerings are pretty intuitive, so how about putting only the chromatics on a 3x5?
(or 4x6 for those of us with even older eyes)

I made my own font (posted in "general")

After reading this thread, I managed to get the chromatics onto a 3x5 card.
The attached pdfs have 3 copies of the 3x5 on one sheet and 2 copies of 4x6 on the other - print and cut on cardstock
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:23:28 am by hoodsmom »

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 03:46:34 pm »
I only have a moment, but thank you, Hoodsmom! That compact format has some great posibilites.

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 04:18:17 pm »
Again, here's a link to a pdf fingering chart: https://codaedc.com/fingering-chart/

But Willfcc asked if we could have business cards with fingering charts, and others seconded (thirded, fourthed, etc.) the idea.
I’d like to see a business card-sized fingering chart for, you know, EDC.  Just like you sent with the original MO’s. Perhaps upper chamber on one side, lower chamber on the other?
Second this idea! I tend to play by ear but a card would help immensely with learning to play the CODA with sheet music.
I like the cards to hand out when people are curious. I handed out many Mountain Ocarina cards over the years and hope to do the same for Coda.
I just going through all the many post on this new forum and saw this one about the cards.....I want it as a magnet that I can put in my car....or a t-shirt with that logo...love love love the "free to roam free to play" compass looking graphic....magnets and t-shirts....and the best looking business cards I have ever seen!!! Good job guys!

The advantage of a business size card over a 3x5" card is that the business card fits into any wallet.

It didn't seem like there was enough room on a business card, but Hoodsmom's condensed fonts (thank you, Hoodsmom!) inspired me to think of how we could fit a condensed but fully useful fingering chart onto the two-page centerfold of a folding business card. I believe we can do this in such a way that the fingerings will be clearly visible even to, ehem, mature eyes (like mine). 

I'm not positive that we can accomplish this, but we are going to try our best.  Update: Ken and Barbie say that either I make this happen or they'll be looking for a new spokesperson.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:30:18 pm by Karl Ahrens »

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 11:31:44 pm »
Adolfo and I just finished the folding business cards with a complete fingering chart in the middle. I really like how it turned out, and I believe that even mature eyes can read it. Tomorrow afternoon, sometime after 2:30 pm, I hope to post some mockups here.  I'll be curious to see what you guys think.