Coda EDC Flute Forum

Author Topic: Hi from Virginia  (Read 153 times)

Jpchopper

Hi from Virginia
« on: December 17, 2018, 11:31:19 pm »
Hi everyone, been following this for what seemed an eternity, after trying to get one of the original mountain ocarinas. I have a couple other ocarina that I bring when I travel, but having this thing finally, it's the BEST.
I travel for work. It's going with me.
Always read between the lines. That is where the truth can often be found.

Karl Ahrens

Re: Hi from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:36:33 am »
That's great! Over time, you have to share some experiences and tips about traveling with Coda.

Jpchopper

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 12:32:32 pm »
That's great! Over time, you have to share some experiences and tips about traveling with Coda.
Afghanistan, and various places in between, on the way!  Considering the way I got glared at by a TSA screener for a camera flash (another hobby of mine-apparently there  are quite a few people who weren't born before smartphones were all anyone used) I can only imagine the fun when they see the CODA! 
Yes, it is going in a pocket or my carry on when I go!

ubizmo

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 03:27:06 pm »
I was asked to play a Mountain Ocarina once by a TSA person at an airport. I know he didn't really think it was anything suspicious but was just bored and wanted to see what it sounded like when I told him it was a musical instrument.

Jpchopper

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 04:03:01 pm »
That's awesome! Did they like it once you played it?

ubizmo

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 05:20:33 pm »
That's awesome! Did they like it once you played it?

Well, they didn't handcuff me.

Jpchopper

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 11:06:56 pm »
So, what a small world. The German version of TSA sent me to secondary screening.
Turns out they thought my CODA could be a weapon, or possibly a weapon magazine.
Yes, they wanted to see me play it in the airport...
I also was not handcuffed, and they asked questions because they had never seen one before. I told them what I could, and about how fun it was.
Who knows, we may get some new CODA owners from Germany in the near future.

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »
Wow! They noticed your tactical flute! What an experience! It would probably be a good idea to practice the German National Anthem before you travel that way next time.  Mine slid through TSA a couple of times without a hitch, but I was primed and ready to play The Star Spangled Banner if they pulled me aside. ;)

Harp Player

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 09:58:38 pm »
I have read a few stories over the years about TSA screeners wigging out when they scanned a case full of Harmonicas. Apparently they look a lot like magazines when the cases are x-rayed.