Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Possible heartbreak...  (Read 260 times)

VTTrish

Possible heartbreak...
« on: July 30, 2019, 02:49:12 pm »
I might have an issue that may or may not be workable. I have arthritis pretty bad in my hands. My fingers aren't all gnarly and twisted and I don't have problems with most instruments. When I bend my fingers they do twist a bit. It wasn't a problem with the MO's once I got used to them. My Coda came yesturday. It's wider and a bit thicker than the MO. I can't completely cover the holes on the left. One of my fingers doesn't even cover one at all unless I put it there with my other hand. I've been doing fingering, not blowing so I didn't notice till just now. If my 4 fingers are flat on the holes my thumb isnt. It causes pain for all 5 to be in their proper position. Hopefully I can adjust somehow but I'm afraid I'll never be able to cover 2 of those 5 holes

Windjammer

Re: Possible heartbreak...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:18:48 pm »
I think and hope that you will be able to adjust with time.  :(
Just for your info as you are learning. The outside set of holes are for the low chamber and the inside set of holes is for the higher chamber. :) I do a lot of finger excises and stretching also. I’m better than I was but I still keep wanting to grip too hard and intern cause my left hand to start hurting. >:( :(

MikeOR

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 05:27:05 am »
More new info. I had no idea of the connection between the chambers and the hole pairs 😎

Windjammer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 09:17:50 am »
This info I figured out by studying the instrument it’s self after I got it.  8)  I don’t think it is written down anywhere. At least officially. ;)

Windjammer

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 09:41:32 am »
Hey VTTrish. How is your playing coming along? Is it getting any better for you? ???

VTTrish

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 03:29:38 pm »
Hi! Thanks for asking! I'm only having issues with getting clear accurate notes involving my middle and ring fingers, right hand. They have a twist and bend that make it difficult to cover the holes properly. It has improved a bit. Years ago when I started playing MOs I had similar issues but the way my fingers "fit" the CODA is different. It will take time. Karl even called to offer some tips :) Awesome to get help from The Man himself

Windjammer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 02:39:29 am »
That’s Karl for you.  :)  Karl is awesome. I am glad to here it is getting a little better.
I hope and pray it continues to improve and you get better every day. :)