Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Swapping chambers  (Read 147 times)

MikeOR

Swapping chambers
« on: July 28, 2019, 07:24:29 am »
Why does swapping chambers often produce a totally different note instead of just the octave?

Windjammer

Re: Swapping chambers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 10:10:43 am »
Sometimes when we swap chambers we don’t adjust our breath correctly or we don’t adjust our fingering correctly.  ??? It still happens to me too. :o ??? :-[ ::)

MikeOR

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:53:33 am »
I would agree on the breath bit, but fingering...? Isn't that supposed to be identical between chambers? Yet I have noticed notes as far away as a major 5th when just swapping chambers but maintaining the same fingering 😎

Windjammer

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:18:21 pm »
One thing I notice with myself is when I shift chambers that I oh so slightly move my fingers sometimes. Sometimes I don’t set my mouth properly when I shift chambers. One thing about Ocarinas is that you can shift the notes sometimes as much as two or more full tones just by changing the position of our mouth or blow pressure. Which can be good and bad. The good is it allows us to manipulate the sound in songs and be creative when we are skilled players. :)  The bad is it makes it more of a challenge to learn in the beginning. It is easier to make mistakes. :(

Windjammer

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 09:56:26 am »
The other thing to keep in mind is that the notes B,C,C#/Db and D overlap both lower and upper chambers. Which in the beginning can throw you off but later you are glad to have that note option available.  ;)

MikeOR

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 03:34:25 pm »
I am, at last, getting to grips with the upper octave. I have found it a great help to start with "top" C and descend the scale, finally checking the  "middle" C with the "low" one on the  lower chamber.

Windjammer

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 03:54:12 pm »
Very cool MikeOR. :) I need to remember to tell others about the reverse scale technique.
I remember reading about others that said it really helped them also. I just forgot to mention it to you. :(  Sorry. At least you figured it out. :)