Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Double holes?  (Read 163 times)

MikeOR

Double holes?
« on: July 25, 2019, 05:22:01 am »
While waiting for delivery of my Coda, I have been studying the fingering charts and the obvious question arises "why is there no mention of the use is double holes" if all these charts don't mention them?

Windjammer

Re: Double holes?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 10:22:16 am »
The double holes was a way for Karl to design the Coda to work without valves. Allowing Coda to be lighter and less complex which in turn made it less expensive to make.
It makes it possible to use the same fingering for both octaves also. So think of each set of holes as being one finger hole. It really is quite clever in its design. :)

VTTrish

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:50:20 pm »
Great answer

MikeOR

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:06:08 am »
I don't understand your explanation or the mention of "valves". I have many Ocarinas,of various sizes and shapes and nary a valve in sight. Also, not all fingering work for both octaves - of the sharps and flats only Bb is identical

Windjammer

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 09:24:19 am »
On other ocarinas like doubles and triples you will notice extra holes for the extra range of tones/notes. Coda only has one set of finger holes like a single/regular 10 or 12 hole ocarina. The fingering is the same on the C major scale and slightly different on the other chromatic scales. Mainly because some of the notes overlapping on the high and low octave chambers I think. ???
Many other musical instruments use valves to accomplish this extra range or half holing and more cross fingering.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:30:57 am by Windjammer »

ubizmo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 05:09:38 pm »
I don't understand your explanation or the mention of "valves". I have many Ocarinas,of various sizes and shapes and nary a valve in sight. Also, not all fingering work for both octaves - of the sharps and flats only Bb is identical

That's correct, the fingerings in the two chambers are not identical. But on other double ocarinas, when you change chambers you must also move your right hand to an entirely different set of tone holes. Coda's bisected tone holes make that unnecessary. That's the key innovation. When you change chambers you must change windways but not hand position too.