Coda EDC Flute Forum

Author Topic: Duane’s World (A musical journey)  (Read 208 times)

Windjammer

Re: Duane’s World (A musical journey)
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 04:15:25 pm »
I think when I look back on other instruments that I’ve learned over the years. That the process is always very similar. I just need to remind myself to be patient and vigilant with the process of learning to play that instrument and enjoy the journey a little more.
The first instrument I tried to learn was the harmonica. I was I think about 14 years old and I quickly got discouraged and quit. Then I tried to learn the recorder. I gave up for a while because I couldn’t get to tone I wanted. Then later I picked it up again and all of a sudden I was playing it. Then a few years later I decided to try the harmonica again. This time I bought a couple of books and a CD came with one of them. Then all of sudden I started making progress and haven’t looked back. :)  The same thing happened when I first got the mountain ocarina. I started out very excited and then after a few weeks I started getting discouraged and I got busy with other things. So I put it away for almost a year. :(  Then I decided to try again and to my amazement in just a few days I was making more progress than I had made in over a month of playing several times a week the first time. :)
So I have learned my lesson I hope. ::) I even had the same thought that I had got a bad instrument or something.  :o ;D ::)

Windjammer

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 01:42:40 am »
If you want to be one of the best or even just good at something you observe other people that are good at it. In this case we want to learn to play a musical instrument. A Coda EDC flute. So I started observing other flute players that I consider good musicians. Ideally other Coda players. But since this is a new instrument there isn’t very many videos out there to watch.  :(  So the next best thing to watch would be other flute players of other types of flutes. Especially ocarina type flutes.  :)

Windjammer

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 12:15:55 pm »
I also decided to go back to school ,sort of. I am studying music again. A refresher course on music and sight reading. A good basic book to get is “How To Play Ocarina” by David Erick Ramos. He even has videos to go along with the book. The ocarina he uses in the book is a 12 hole transverse but the lessons still work quite well.  :)
Now this might sound obvious to some but practicing with with songs you already know will speed up your progress in sight reading a lot.  :o ??? ::)
Hopefully Karl will come up with something similar for Coda some day. ;)

Windjammer

« Reply #18 on: Today at 07:10:54 pm »
It is amazing how much trouble sharps and flats can cause. >:(
It is so easy to get lost when you have sharps and flats. The more you have the worse it gets.  :-\  ???  ;D