Coda EDC Flute Forum

Author Topic: Duane’s World (A musical journey)  (Read 207 times)

Windjammer

Duane’s World (A musical journey)
« on: June 16, 2019, 06:20:59 pm »
So far so good. I’m enjoying the Coda. It is  definitely different from anything I’ve played before. On the first  Day I was able to get some decent sound on the lower range but still needed some work. I could not get much at all on the upper range that was worth listening to.  >:(
 After a few days the lower range is sounding fairly decent. :)
 After about a week the upper range is sounding halfway decent. :o
 I am now starting to play songs that connect the lower and the upper ranges but it is still a work in progress.  ::)
 I am also starting to work on my chromatic notes.
 I would like to add at this point to all the other Coda players  also going on this journey. that I consider myself an intermediate ocarina ,recorder and mountain ocarina player.  So  your mileage may vary. :)
I  really expected to be farther along on this journey. I have to admit the thought come to my head that I had a faulty coda but I quickly said no it’s probably just me.
 So I just want to encourage those that are learning to play the Coda to have patience and listen to what the Experienced Coda players say and before you know it you’ll be on your way.
 So if you’ve watched kissing88’s review of the Coda.  You need to adjust your expectations to your level. Kissing88 is a advanced player. ::)

Windjammer

Re: Duane’s World (A musical journey)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 09:44:29 pm »
 Yesterday I was playing  Londonderry air (Danny Boy) from David Erick Ramos’ ( How To Play Ocarina book ) which happens to be in a lower key than the Coda book version.
 So I had to go down to low A note.  I’ve been practicing with a tuner to get a low B , B flat and A . By using the fipple bend technique.  It worked perfectly. I was able to hit all three of those notes in the song with no mistakes  ;D 8)

Windjammer

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:53:11 pm »
The more I play the Coda. The better I like it. Karl has done an awesome job on the details of this little marvel of a flute.  :) ;)
Even down to the clip and silencers that fit perfectly on the back. :o ;)
I think me and my little Coda are going to become great friends.  ;)  8)

Windjammer

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 09:08:23 am »
One of the things i’m doing as I learn my way around the Coda is going back to the basics of music. I want to improve my sight reading and understanding of music theory. In this day and age we really have no excuse for not learning about music and taking it to any level we so choose. With all the knowledge we have at our fingertips like books, internet and apps. Much of it is free. We just need 15 min a day or even every other day and some motivation to learn. That is one of the things that is so great about the Coda. To have it on you so you can practice and play at any moment that you have free is as Karl says, “a game changer”.  :)

Windjammer

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 10:23:58 pm »
I feel like I’m making really good progress now on my playing. At first it seemed like it was going very slow. I even thought I might have gotten a bad flute. The first few days I was a little disappointed with my playing. But all of a sudden I made great leaps on my playing and sound quality. ;D
So people don’t get discouraged. Try to stay positive. Practice regularly and good things will happen. :) ;)

Windjammer

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 06:40:47 pm »
Ok it is official that Coda has become my favorite instrument to play. Followed by my triple ocarina and harmonica.  ;D
The Coda is such an amazing design. Karl you are a genius. This little instrument is so versatile.  :o It checks off so many features I want. Some I didn’t even know I wanted. ::) :)

Harp Player

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 09:24:45 pm »
I like the CODA but it will never replace my first love - Harmonica.  When I hear a song I think in Harmonica, it is an extension of my own body.

Windjammer

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 11:52:03 pm »
I know what you mean Harp Player. The Harmonica is a special instrument. It has a lot of soul. I just got through playing some before I came on line. It is a very close second. The Coda has spirit with a little soul. :)  I think it came down to the chromatic ability of the Coda that won me over. But there is something about the harmonica that gives that sense of connection more than any other instrument. 8)

Windjammer

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 09:34:31 pm »
Now that I am getting better at the notes, where they are and what they are. I’m starting to work on my tone a little more. Most flutes you have to work on tone ,texture and color of the sound just like many other instrument. I do the same thing with my harmonicas. :)
That is one thing I like about the Coda, just like the harmonica you have lots of sound options. There’s so many things you can do to change the sound of wind instruments in general like how you hold your mouth, tongue, lips, fingers and instrument. Your mic and other sound equipment and even where you play. All these thing can make a huge difference in the sound. I here so many people on the internet make snap judgments about a musical instrument when they here it played online. ::) :(
A good example is some of ubizmo’s old recordings with the mountain ocarina and recorder.
Many people made the comment that they didn’t know that you could get such good sound out of those instruments.  ???  The musician factor is huge not only in the playing but also the sound of the instrument. This is like music 101 and I think most people know this but yet tend to forget sometimes.  :)

BillErickson

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 05:13:11 pm »
Windjammer, thanks for generating this log of your progress on the Coda.  It helped keep me going when I was *also* convinced that there *had* to be a defect with my Coda to explain why I was having problems playing the upper octave in tune.

Turns out I wasn't covering the tone holes correctly.  Tricky little devils.

Windjammer

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 08:30:11 pm »
Yes they are aren’t they. ;D
But once you get a feel for them it starts coming natural :)

Windjammer

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 08:38:20 pm »
 You know that’s one of the reasons Karl created this topic he knew it would help a lot of other people in more ways than one. :)
That’s why I decided I want to participate in this one hoping that it would help other people.

Windjammer

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 10:43:29 am »
 You know I find it interesting that you can actually make a instrument too stable.  Most of us musicians, especially beginners, want a instrument we can immediately without any effort make sound good. Most of us love that Bell tone pure sound with no airy sounds. We think that is a  sign of a good quality  flute or ocarina but that is  only a partial truth.
 What we don’t realize especially as beginners is that there’s more than one kind of airy or textured sound in a flute or any woodwind instrument  and it’s not all bad. :o

BillErickson

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 11:51:51 am »
Boy, that's the truth!  My other favorite wind instrument that I dabble with is the Shakuhachi, and it's all about airy/textured sound.  ;)

Windjammer

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:16 pm »
Pan flute is another good example. The ocarina is an example of a instrument that needs that balance. If it is made too stable then it limits the uses and the sounds you can get out of it.
Even though sometimes the sound is beautiful. If it is too unstable then it becomes unruly. It is no longer a pleasure to play.   :(  I think Karl did a good job of finding that sweet spot with Coda’s texture balance. Allowing it to be very versatile and play more types of music. It just takes a little more work at the beginning to get those beautiful tones you want. But it makes for a more expressive instrument. :)