Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: Duane’s World (A musical journey)  (Read 1029 times)

Windjammer

Re: Duane’s World (A musical journey)
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 09:41:42 pm »
It is so awesome when you are learning a new song and you play through the hole song with no mistakes.  :o ??? 8)

Windjammer

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 05:34:15 pm »
Right now I am using a combination of practice techniques to help me get fast results without sacrificing quality. Most of these techniques are mentioned here at this Coda website. So for those that are interested here is a list.

1) Multiple short practice sessions from 5 to 30 minutes. I rarely get to practice more than an hour at a time. Which is ok because the experts say that studies show that shorter practice sessions but more of them is the best way to practice or study. Coda EDC works great for this style of learning. :) ;)

Windjammer

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 05:58:28 pm »
2) I warm up with a few scale runs. Both diatonic and chromatic. FYI - Coda likes to be warmed up for best sound quality. ;)

3) I practice a few simple songs by ear before I start work on anything more challenging if I have enough time.

Windjammer

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 07:30:45 pm »
4) I work on more difficult songs playing by ear. Which is part of my ear and muscle memory ;) training. Sometimes I try to just play straight through the songs from beginning to end. Sometimes I play trouble spots at multiple speeds.

5) I work on sight reading music if I have more time. That is an advantage we now have in this day and age with smartphones. I almost always have my smartphone on me as well as my Coda EDC flute.  :)

Well there you have it. The basics of my practice sessions. Obviously this is more or less dependent on how much time I have to practice. Also take time to watch and listen to other musicians and music.

P.S. Practice Practice Practice  :) ;)

Harp Player

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2019, 03:07:14 am »
I often play a simple song or two to help warm up both me and the instrument as well as run a scale or two.  Those are excellent ways to start a session.

Windjammer

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 04:28:37 pm »
I have been having some really good practice sessions lately. It flows like warm honey on a sunny day. Smooth.  :) My fingers just seem to glide from note to note without any effort.
I wish it was like that all the time. :D

Windjammer

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2019, 10:36:25 am »
I wish I could come up with a definitive answer to the high B note. The high B on both chambers is a bit finicky. The lower chamber is the worst I think. So here is what I have learned so far. The main problem is the excessive airiness in the sound of the note. Doing a warm up helps and clearing excess moisture helps. Polishing the airway sometimes helps also. Changing the angle of attack as you blow sometimes helps but there doesn’t seem to be one set answer to the problem. :( ???
If anyone has figured this out please let me know.

Wendi

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2019, 11:17:52 am »
I'm curious to know what you end up discovering: I'm having a similar issue with the low b/c/d on the lower chamber where they're very airy-sounding.  Actually I find I'm playing the entire lower chamber flat for some reason - an entire semi-tone flat - so I think this long weekend I'm going to take some time to peruse the forums and seek out some advice and ideas that others might have previously posted.  I'm sure I just need to practice the right force of breath and angle.  My new neighbours are unapologetically noisy so I plan on doing lots of practice WITHOUT the silencers, muahahaha!

Windjammer

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2019, 02:42:54 pm »
Hey Windi. I sometimes have a little excess airiness with low C. I think it is more prone to that because it is a very flexible tone hole. I can go all the way down to a low G.

Windjammer

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2019, 03:19:50 pm »
The high B airiness tends to go away as the flute is warmed up. I think it is two different causes intermixing with each other. Those being temperature and condensation.
Those two things cause trouble with most woodwind instruments. Some more than others.
I have played a lot of wind instruments over the years and it seems like there is always certain notes that give you more trouble than others and it seems to be almost always the top and bottom notes. Even the really expensive instruments. I was watching some YouTube flutists talking about having trouble with certain notes and their flutes costs over 10,000 dollars.  :( :o ???

Windjammer

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2019, 10:01:54 am »
 I was sitting in the parking lot of Walmart waiting for my son to get off work. So I decided to start playing my Coda EDC flute, as I do a lot when I’m waiting for things or people.  I just finished playing a Beatles song and a Woman walks in front of my car and motions with her hand for me to roll the window down and she asked me what song I was playing. she said it sounded very beautiful and interesting.  Then she asked me what that musical instrument was that I was playing. She said that sometimes it sounded like I was playing more than one type of instrument.  She said depending on what I was playing sometimes it would sound like a flute or piccolo and other times it sounded like a recorder.  Now I had no idea that somebody was really listening to me play. I usually play in the car with the windows cracked in the parking lot and this person said they had heard me several times playing. So I started to explain to her what the instrument was and who invented it and she asked if I had a card and it just so happens I had a card in the car. So you never know when those extra business cards come in handy or when somebody is listening to you. I just hope it’s always people enjoying listening to me and I’m not being annoying to them. :)
 Sometimes when I’m practicing I practiced making different types of sounds with the Coda and using different playing techniques.