Coda EDC Flute Forum

Author Topic: Best keys for CODA and MO?  (Read 228 times)

hoodsmom

Best keys for CODA and MO?
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:44:17 pm »
I was trying to figure out why some tunes sound better in certain keys and I found out by googling that it's not just aesthetics - the natural timbre of the instrument plays a role in determining what sounds good or not-so-good.
So my question to you experienced MO and CODA players - technical issues aside, are there any keys that you particularly (dis)like for CODA and MO?

ubizmo

Re: Best keys for CODA and MO?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21:21 pm »
Well, on any keyless wind instrument, more shape and flats means more gnarly fingerings. On a recorder it also means the notes are less clear, because forked fingerings have that effect in a tubular instrument, but not in Coda!

On a sax or clarinet, we're supposed to practice scales etc in all 12 keys. I've never been that disciplined but I do try to play songs in a number of different keys on the sax. And some songs really are good training for playing in all 12, like "The Rose."

On Coda, some keys are really a lot of work. I'm not a fan of playing in Eb, en though it's a fairly common key. It just feels clumsy under my fingers. But really it's all about getting the discipline to practice in all keys.

I've started practicing a drill I used to do on sax. Starting on middle C I play a major arpeggio up to high C, so c, e, g, c' then a semitone down and play the downward arpeggio in B major: b, f#, d#, B then down another semitone to Bb and arpeggio up, etc, until I've done every key and end on low C.

Like all drills, you have to start *slow*, like quarter note tempo. Or do a similar thing with scales instead of arpeggios. It's tedious but it helps. Even on a keyed instrument it's a challenge but on an instrument with no keys it's real work.

That's more than you asked for, but for me it all comes down to fingerings.

hoodsmom

Re: Best keys for CODA and MO?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 02:13:08 pm »
I think the natural timbre of the instrument really does make a difference, though. There are some tunes I can play with reasonable technical proficiency in a couple of keys, but I like one better. And I read that as a rule, more sharps tend to make for a cheerier sound - which is good in some tunes and less desirable in others.