Coda EDC Flutes Forum

Author Topic: The Sally Gardens  (Read 518 times)

shan

The Sally Gardens
« on: January 03, 2019, 01:37:27 pm »
I love this tune from my Celtic songbook- I think the Coda (and MO) suits it nicely, especially with the capacity to bend notes in the manner of the uillean pipes (the high G's and A's in the melody line in particular).  SO: herewith, a quick throw-together arrangement in 3 parts (see attached).  Melody line exclusively for Coda, owing to range; lower parts for Coda and/or MO in C.  Now... if we could just get a few of us into a room together!

**EDIT: I forgot write in the tempo...  should be slow, like 60 bpm.

**Another EDIT: Thanks to Karl for reminding me ever so gently that the high D in in my original arrangement is out of range for the Coda.  Oops.  Well spotted, Karl!  I have bumped the errant note down a third and I should like to think that it does no harm to the tune at all.  I have also amended the attachment. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:34:08 pm by shan »

Karl Ahrens

Re: The Sally Gardens
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:17:29 pm »
Shan, this traditional Irish air is beautiful and is great fun to play. I just played all three parts with me, myself, and I --unfortunately, just one part at a time-- and all three parts work well. Ideas pop into my head. At some point, we'll have to think about how we can collaborate to do group recordings. Or maybe you could make a video of yourself playing all three parts. 

The truth is, I'd love to have more three part arrangements like this! Perhaps a book?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:29:50 pm by Karl Ahrens »

shan

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:35:04 pm »
Do you remember the "You Are My Sunshine" play-together we did back in 2008 or 2009?  Something like that might work.  Heck, it did work then, so it would work now...  I don't remember exactly how we did it (and all of my files from that era perished in a hard drive extermination event, sadly), but it couldn't be too hard to sort out. 
I'm with you 100% on getting more multi-part arrangements up and out! 

Karl Ahrens

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:12:47 pm »
That sounds great! Others should jump on on this. If I can help in some way, let me know. 

Realistically, I personally will be more able to think about a collaboration in a few months when the dust settles a little -- right now we're scrambling on several fronts with the Coda launch and the new forum. It seems like I'm working on 10 projects at once.

But I look forward to seeing what collaborative efforts develop over the new year, perhaps playing some of your new multi-part arrangements, Shan. Playing beautiful folk tunes in 2, 3, and 4 part harmony would be fun. And who knows? Maybe we can plan some real life get togethers of some kind during the warmer months.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:20:48 pm by Karl Ahrens »

hoodsmom

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:22:10 pm »
Well, we could do this, if someone wants to mix the music...

(Little Symphony Project). You can't hear me, but I'm in the vid for a few seconds representing MO with a Warmstone C.

What they did is post music (which you had to play along with exactly) and when you were ready, you recorded while listening to their track, uploaded your recording to YouTube and they mixed the music and vids.

shan

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 10:31:18 pm »
WoW, hoodsmom...  THAT is really amazing!  What we did, so long ago now, was in a way pretty similar; we had folks record themselves playing while listening to a simple backing track; those recordings were collected and basically just piled one on top of another (a big lumpy sonic porridge!)....  It was all strictly audio, though.  The video version is just splendid-- do you know how to do that stuff? 

d102

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 03:57:10 am »
Amazing video and sound, found a couple of shots of a warmstone MO and as only one was listed on the credits I assume that must be you.  Fantastic project, there are some very clever and creative people out there. 

Stefan

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 10:21:33 am »
WoW, hoodsmom...  THAT is really amazing!  What we did, so long ago now, was in a way pretty similar; we had folks record themselves playing while listening to a simple backing track; those recordings were collected and basically just piled one on top of another (a big lumpy sonic porridge!)....  It was all strictly audio, though.  The video version is just splendid-- do you know how to do that stuff?

The video editing is actually really simple, if there's a CODA collab I could offer to make the video. What I think is more important is the audio editing, I just know how to turn up or down the volume haha But I don't know how to equalize and that stuff.

But I really like the idea, it would be good to make in a few months when more people have their CODA and have practiced. I have participated in 2 big collabs, in this one I appear at 1:06 with my Hardwood MO in G:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:24:31 am by Stefan »

Roderick

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 07:18:12 pm »

The video editing is actually really simple, if there's a CODA collab I could offer to make the video. What I think is more important is the audio editing, I just know how to turn up or down the volume haha But I don't know how to equalize and that stuff.

But I really like the idea, it would be good to make in a few months when more people have their CODA and have practiced. I have participated in 2 big collabs, in this one I appear at 1:06 with my Hardwood MO in G:

That is a cool video. I'd love to see something similar with Coda.
English is not my native tongue, pardon any mistake. ;)