Coda EDC Flute Forum

Author Topic: Cleaning your Coda  (Read 240 times)

Eendhoorn

Cleaning your Coda
« on: January 02, 2019, 03:03:38 pm »
How would you advise to clean the Coda? It should be fine to just let some warm water run in and out right? Apart from the tape on the clip I couldn't think of any harm this could do. But I just wanted to make sure before I do so :)

Karl Ahrens

Re: Cleaning your Coda
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:47:19 pm »
Good question, Eendhoorn. Generally speaking, Coda is about as carefree an instrument as you can get. There are lots of holes to air out the sound chambers, so they tend to dry out nicely. Also, the tough, non-porous, medical grade, food safe plastic that Coda is made from doesn't support bacterial or fungal growth well the way a more porous material might.

Yes, you can rinse your instrument with warm water. Just use common sense, so avoid boiling water, automatic dishwashers etc.  And if you are a little careful so as to not to scratch the instrument, you can use the hose of a vacuum cleaner to suck out the moisture after you rinse it. 

Now, I know from past inquiries that some of you tend to rinse your flute with water regularly. I'm afraid that I virtually never do. If I spill soup inside my Coda or drop it in the mud, I will though.

If you put Coda into a pocket with lint, or if you live in dusty area (near a dirt road, etc.), you can get dirt inside the toneholes.  I suggest cleaning them out with a Q-tip (cotton swab) dipped in a little isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. (Ethyl rubbing alcohol works well also.) The isopropyl alcohol evaporates right away, is a good disinfectant, and won't hurt Coda.

In the tips section at the beginning of your Coda book, I mention things like rinsing your mouth before playing Coda and polishing the windway once in a while.  Rather than copy that info here, I'd rather have you review the tips in the book again. It's for your own good; you'll thank me someday! (Hey, I heard that wisecrack! Remember that this is a family friendly forum. ;))

If you feel funny about playing your Coda after recovering from a cold, polish your windways (as indicated in the book tips), but use a little rubbing alcohol along with the folded paper sticks. Follow up with a dry polish, and blow out any fine paper dust.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 06:54:01 pm by Karl Ahrens »

Eendhoorn

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:22:15 pm »
Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Karl!
I never bothered too much cleaning my instruments. Until I got a melodica with a white hose and could see mold forming inside, yuck!
I guess that traumatized me a little  :P

Rinsing is a good a tip! I usually brush my teeth before I play, don't want to blow any food particles into the instrument.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 04:57:59 am »
Cleaning Coda.
Never forget the power of a bag of rice ;)

Wash out Coda with the method you choose. Afterward put Coda wrapped in coffee filters with a rubberband holding
the coffee filters around the coda.
Place wrapped coda into a big zip lock full of rice.
The rice will of course completely dry the Coda overnight so no residual moisture for molds to grow on.

Just a thought  :D

CODAina

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:34:14 am »
You are truly a medicine man....I have not heard of this rice trick...got to try it now!

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 03:35:21 pm »
The rice trick can also save your cell phone if you drop in it water.  It saved mine one day.

CODAina

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »
Whaaaat?  I'll tell my hubby if that ever happens...my cel is a Sony Xperia so it is waterproof love it ;)